Tuesday 12 February 2008

Trip to Greece

Following on from the last post...

Got some good news about an abstract I tentatively submitted to a conference in Thessaloniki for July, based on my master's thesis work. The conference is called 'Conference in Interdisciplinary Musicology' and it's run by someone whose publications interest me a lot, Emilios Cambouropoulos. The submitted was on an artificially intelligent musical accompaniment system, that I worked on as my master's project last year.

I co-authored an abstract for this with my old supervisor at Edinburgh (where I did my degree), and our abstract got accepted for the conference. So I'm off to Greece in the summer!

Don't think it hurt our chances of acceptance in the conference, that my old supervisor also supervised Emilios Cambouropoulos's PhD thesis at Edinburgh about ten years ago... but also the review comments were interesting to read. Two reviews were given, based on academic merit, relevance to the conference and relevance to the conference theme (musical structure). One reviewer thought our work was generally ok to good, based on the good application of computational methods to a musical problem but questioning the contribution back to music theory (which is a weak point for the work for this particular conference - I'll have to think about this a bit more). However the other reviewer loved the work, rating it as excellent for all the review criteria. That was very satisfying to read! I wonder if they would have still rated it as excellent for academic criteria if they had known it was sourced from a master's thesis work... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment