Tuesday 13 January 2009

learning from last term

So last term was a little bit crazy. I took on too much teaching, marking, gigs, rehearsals, and assorted 'other stuff', at a time when family commitments became quite pressing as well. So my DPhil work really suffered.

However... I still managed to write one journal paper (being sent off for review as I speak/write) and submit two abstracts for the ESCOM conference on music cognition in Finland, which I really hope to go to (some amazing keynote speakers and I am quite interested in Jyvaskala university as well, which is hosting the conference).

So the plan for this term is:

1. To actually have a plan for the term...

2. To be more efficient, sorting things out or plan them as they arrive, so I'm on top of things (particularly emails that I put off replying to - if they're small things I should just do them rather than procrastinating)

3. To organise my academic (and personal) life so that I know where I'm supposed to be and what I'm supposed to be doing, at any one time. (this one is going quite well so far.)

4. To be a bit more ruthless about what I accept and take on - if I can't do it, or if it's not worth the effort, I won't do it... no point in trying to please everyone if my own stuff suffers.

Lets see how this goes... will be interesting to come back to this post in a few months time and see how I'm doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment