Friday 20 February 2009

How real life invades the best laid plans...

Of course I didn't do everything on my list of things-to-do (from my previous posts). That is what such overly ambitious lists are designed for.

Perhaps this is why I constantly feel like I'm falling behind with my work, because I plan to do too much and then never accomplish it? Or, maybe that's not the case - I just wrote that last sentence and disagreed with it in my head almost straightaway. I know that I plan ridiculous amounts of work, but I guess I see that as more of a way to prompt myself to do more with my time - there is never an end to the to-do list (if there was then how boring would life become!)

What I need to focus on is less procrastination time, more actual work. I really hope this blog isn't linked to procrastination time - currently it isn't but I guess it's another potential distraction.

The most effective thing for me is to plan my time hour by hour, I find - that way I don't drift into no-man's land timewise.

This week is a bit crazy (as always - I love my life!) I'm doing a musical all week. So we're meeting at 5pm in town. With my bus going once an hour, that means I need to leave campus at 4pm. so between 11.40 and 3.40, that gives me 4 hours of work. And I need to:
  • sort out funding deadlines.
  • read Nick's chapters (got really into one of them then forgot it all)
  • read Seda's chapter for her English - this is my housemate who is doing a PhD in theatre studies, she wants a native speaker to look over her language use. I can't possibly imagine doing a PhD in another language other than my native language, I'm in awe of her for this.
  • Have a skim read of a linguistics book, to get a bit of background on some topics there.
  • Work out a basic application text for the seminar series in interdisciplinary music research that we want to set up in Brighton
I'll print this out, and assign times for it. Then stick to it!!! (possibly)

1 comment:

  1. quick update:
    - sort out funding deadlines - YES - THIS TOOK MUCH LONGER THAN EXPECTED
    - read Nick's chapters - NOT YET - TAKING THEM TO THE GIG TONIGHT HAHA
    - read Seda's chapter - YES - SKIM READ IT FOR GRAMMATICAL PROOF
    - skim read linguistics book - NO - THIS HAD LOWEST PRIORITY TODAY SO I DIDN'T GET TO IT...
    - work out basic application text - YES (PHEW!) CHRIS CAME IN SO WE WORKED OUT SOMETHING TOGETHER AND SENT IT OFF BY EMAIL.

    ReplyDelete